Monday, September 5, 2011

Ottawa, Canada





Backside of Parliment with library.



East Block Parliment Buildings
Honestly, before finding Ottawa on my map to locate the best route in order to go visit my friends Sarah & Steve’s parents house (Sarah’s parents), I probably couldn’t have correctly stated that it was the capital of Canada or pinned its location on a map…and I have a pretty good grasp of global geography.  I might have said that Toronto or Ontario was the capital, which are sorta technically correct, except that Toronto is the Capital of Ontario and Ottawa is in Ontario.  It was never on my list of places to visit, but I sure am glad that I did.  It was great.  First, Valerie and Sherman were really nice, hospitable, interesting to get to know and fun to hang out with.  Might have had a little too much wine and a little too much fun even and Valerie and I may be taking an RV excursion together sometime next year.  The visit to Ottawa gave a really great historical basis and focal point for all of Canada, which has a surprisingly rich history and vast diversity that remains nearly fully intact today between French, British and First Nation indigenous populations that are now fully recognized with their own province (Nunavut as of 1999).  All of this history, governmental systems and cultural diversity was of course well represented and explained in Ottawa.  The parliamentary buildings were extremely gothic and gargoyle infused, and it wouldn’t have been a surprise to see a quidditch game going on overhead.  The guided tours were very enlightening, the view from the top of the Peace Tower (how awesome is it that they have a Peace Tower at the center of their government) was great, and the museum of Civilization had some amazing presentations on the Arctic Circle and Canadian History.  Still a little fuzzy on all the details of the governmental system, but then apparently so are many Canadians (well, for that matter most Americans are of course fuzzy on our own system…electoral college and all that).  Queen Victoria selected the site for Ottawa in the 1800’s specifically because it was defendable against America.  Hard to remember that Canada is still technically semi-British and that Britain and America spent nearly a hundred years attacking each other by way of the Canadian and American frontiers. 


Native art.  Museum of Civilization.

I found a great campground just on the edge of town that is run by the government as the municipal campground, but then got booted from there for Labor Day weekend because I didn’t have reservations to ensure my space through the weekend.  Seems that America and Canada share the same holiday on the same day…who knew.  I moved over to another RV park even closer to Valerie and Sherman’s house and ended up meeting the nicest Canadian guy from Ontario now living full time in his RV with his wife.  The two of them have been to every far reaching point one can drive in Canada.  He gave me a lot of pointers and information and blew flames on my desire to see the Maritimes.  Did not know before this trip that they were called the Maritimes, but they include Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island (didn’t even realize that this was its own province), and Labrador & Newfoundland (Labrador being the mainland and Newfoundland being the island).  He also fueled my fire to drive the RV down into Mexico. He gets scheduled into an RV caravan down through Mexico and breaks off onto his own in the Yucatan where they park for the winter and tour around in their truck seeing the sites, beaches, ancient ruins, etc…I am so there in the next couple of years!  Better go get my Rosetta Stone Spanish edition dusted off.


Museam of Civilization...how cool is that building face!


 

A funny theme that I kept hearing from people that I talked to in Ottawa is the official bilingual status of Canada…French and English of course.  Ottawa is strategically placed across the Ottawa River from Quebec and a portion of the capital buildings and offices are actually in French speaking Gatineau across a relatively short bridge.  The English speaking mostly British heritage citizens of Canada seem a bit incensed with the official bilingual status of Canada for a few interesting reasons.  One being that everything in Canada must legally be in both English and French and there is a Language Police division that constantly enforces this law and applies fines to anyone that breaks this law, except that in Quebec (the only French speaking province) this law is apparently not enforced at all.  Nothing in Quebec is in English…and I know this first hand (see my story from my first few day in Montreal where I spent a very frustrating  30 minutes trying to get gasoline into my Jeep), no street signs, no instructions, no visitor signs, no tourist placards, nothing governmental nor commercial is in English.  But, I heard some interesting stories about how the language police will shut down a website or apply fines to a local retailer that might be situated in British Columbia and thousands of miles away from Quebec and selling local goods only to local customers that haven’t printed all of their signs in both languages or included a French language option for their entire website.  I can also tell you that only half of the websites that I visited in Quebec have an English option.  The second interesting story that I heard is that any official communications going out of any official offices in the local, regional, provincial or central governments must all be translated into both languages even if you are simply generating an announcement to 5 colleagues that you know all speak English.  Their version of the Library of Congress (which I visited and has some amazing architecture) is filled with everything in duplicate language.

Ridea Canal Winter - Stays below freezing the entire winter.

Rideau Canal Summer
   After more socializing with Sarah’s family and a great bike ride across and through the main sections of Ottawa on a nice warm day (was a comfortable 82 degrees, but they were all complaining about the extreme heat), I headed back out to Montreal for a couple more days, then plotted my coarse east toward Quebec City.


Parliment and Peace Tower


 

 
  
 

2 comments:

  1. hi very good post dear
    Thank You
    Your blog is very informative ...plz upload more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I loved reading your blog and seeing all the great pictures! I found you 'accidentally while Google image searching Fort Ticonderoga. I loved reading everything you had to say, just not sure, is 'the farm' you refer to in PA or WV? Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete